Roll up, roll up, for the small mammal survey on the Downs.
The Friends of the Downs are working with Wildwood and the Kent Mammal Group to carry out a survey of the tiny furry beasties that scurry about trying to keep out of sight.
Wildwood are running two courses that you need to go on to qualify you for safely handing the small mammals. You will need to go on both courses.
The first is on Saturday 29th October 2011. At the end of the day participants will:
- Have increased their practical field skills to enable them to trap, identify, sex, weigh and release small mammals found in Kent
- Understand the conservation and licensing legislation relating to these mammals
- Understand the methods of the Kent Mammal Group small mammal survey
- Be able to submit accurate mammal records
The second is on Saturday 19th November 2011. At the end of the day participants will:
- To teach participants to identify mammals found in Kent from sightings of the animals themselves and their field signs
- To introduce participants to conservation and licensing legislation relating to these mammals
- To encourage participants to record mammals for the Kent Mammal Group atlas