Home ... The Council ... CCC ... New hope for Bun Penny as eyesore finds a new owner

New hope for Bun Penny as eyesore finds a new owner

Flats will replace fire-ravaged former pub

SOLD: The burnt-out Bun Penny
SOLD: The burnt-out Bun Penny

THE burnt-out Bun Penny could soon rise from the ashes after being sold for redevelopment. The derelict building — one of the town’s most complained-about eyesores since it was gutted by fire in September 2011 — was under offer last month and the sale has now been formally completed.

New era

Estate agent Peter Goodwin, of Wilbee and Son, handled the deal and said it was the start of a new era for the building. The new owners, father and son team Dean and Ernie Tevfik, who own fish and chip restaurants including Dean’s Plaice, had hoped to remain anonymous but town rumours revealed their names within hours. Mr Goodwin said:

“They are very pleased it is now completed and they are hoping it will not be too long before work can start.”

New hoardings are due to go up on the site, on the corner of William Street and Central Parade, on Wednesday and a planning application has been prepared. The proposed scheme would involve the former pub being demolished and replaced with a new building, with luxury flats on the upper floors. Mr Goodwin said:

“The idea is to have commercial on the ground floor, ideally a family restaurant. That is what the new owners wifi be targeting and I think it is something that Herne Bay needs. The council has been very supportive and everyone is now hoping they will be able to rubber-stamp the application so it can go through quickly.”

The site has attracted complaints since the fire, and councillors have been insisting since July 2012 that it was “a priority”. Business leader Nigel Hancock, of the Bay Independent Retail Group, set up a petition calling on Canterbury City Council to tidy up the site and officials were discussing taking action to force the owners to act. Mr Goodwin said:

“The owners have been very helpful in making sure the sale goes through smoothly and they are pleased it is all finalised now. It has taken a lot of work and a lot of negotiations and I want to formally thank the old owners and the council for their help and support. Everyone is keen for the site to be brought back into use and we are all now hoping the council will feel able to continue to support this so work can start soon.”

Herne Bay Times, June 11th 2014

Check Also

Vigil in memory of driver

A young driver died in a collision involving three cars on the Old Thanet Way. …