Commuters have faced a second evening of overcrowding at London Bridge Station.
At 18:30 GMT National Rail said congestion caused by earlier delays was holding up Southern and Thameslink services to and from London Bridge by up to 30 minutes.
It said congestion was likely to last until about 20:30, as on Monday.
The station is being rebuilt for the Thameslink Programme. Photos have appeared on Twitter for a second night.
‘Unpleasant for passengers’
Southern warned passengers that from 5 January train routes would be restricted with “limited infrastructure in and around the station”.
Valerie Shawcross, Labour transport spokeswoman at City Hall, tweeted: “London Bridge concourse packed again tonight @networkrail seem to have no idea about safe crowd management.”
London Green Party tweeted: “More delays for passengers at London Bridge – straight after fare rise. We need railways run for public by the public.”
Earlier, Dave Ward, Network Rail South East route managing director, apologised for Monday night’s disruption.
He said: “The service provision and station operation was not what we would expect or would like to deliver to passengers.
“As a matter of urgency we will be reviewing the operation of the station concourse as clearly not only did the overcrowding prevent the station operating in an efficient manner it led to circumstances that were unpleasant for passengers.”
In March last year, passengers were warned to expect “years of disruption” while a multibillion-pound upgrade took place, part of the biggest station rebuild that Network Rail has ever carried out.