Asbestos killed former RAF man
BROOMFIELD: A man who served with the RAF during the Second World War died as a resuft of exposure to asbestos, an inquest has found. David Poole, 88, died on April 22 at Beacon Lodge Residential Home in Herne Bay, afthough had lived in Hoopers Lane. An inquest held on Thursday at Canterbury Coronery Court heard that Mr Poole, from Mexico originally, was a retired carpenter and had worked with asbestos during his career. He had also served with the RAF in the 1 940s and put up huts and hangers, work which would have brought him into contact with the lethal dust. A postmortem examination revealed his death was due to malignant mesothelioma. Coroner Rebecca Cobb recorded a verdict of death from industrial
disease and wartime service.
MS boot fair
CANTERBURY: A boot fair in Adisham this Sunday (June 22) is being held to raise money for the Kent MS Therapy Centre. The fair is open to all, with £10 charged for each pitch. Organisers are hoping to raise £10,000 for the centre with a series of events including a charity race night on June 27, and a vintage afternoon tea on June 29, both at the Lower Hardres Village Hall. For further information, please contact Helen Wathen at the Kent MS Therapy Centre on 01227 470876 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Shop to open
CANTRBURY: The Fragrance Shop retail chain will be opening a new store in Rose Lane. The store, which opens on Saturday July 5 at 9am, will bring five new jobs to the city. There will also be goodie bags for every customer on the opening day. The chain has received praise for donating 5p from every transaction to charity, which has so far resulted in over £250,000 of donations.
HERNE BAY: A summer fair raised more than £1,500 for Cancer Research UK. The event took place at the bandstand on Saturday and was organised by the local fundraising committee.
Herne Bay Times, June 18th 2014