• 1. In London, one sees drunks lying in the gutter with a bottle of cider, while in Canterbury you see drunks lying in the gutter with a bottle of Pimms.
• 2. We have an MP nearby who is a Sir, Sir Roger Gale. London has Boris Johnson.
• 3. London’s main shopping streets have high-priced shops like Harrods, Selfridges, Fortnum and Masons, while ours has Poundstretcher, Aldi and Lidl.
• 4. In London, the rubbish in the streets is mainly empty beer cans and chicken boxes — in Canterbury it’s top-brand cigarette packets and Waitrose bags.
• 5. In London, traffic wardens have a sullen look, but in Canterbury they always have a beaming smile when they put a ticket on your windscreen.
Brian V Reynolds
Herne Bay Times, February 11th 2015