Home ... Kent ... Falling crane traps worker

Falling crane traps worker

Investigation as hurt man saved from trench

Health and safety inspectors have launched an investigation after a man was injured when a crane collapsed onto a trench where he was working. The 50-year-old man was briefly unconscious after suffering head injuries and was taken to the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford. It is believed that the boom on the 50ft mobile crane came down, trapping the man on the site near Talmead Road. Emergency services were called to the incident in the Meadow View development, where specialist ambulance crews joined fire crews to rescue him. Fire crew manager Tim Green led the operation, which involved crews from Herne Bay and Whitstable. He said:

“We were there to make the scene safe for the ambulance crews. It was difficult terrain as it had been raining overnight, and there were various obstacles to encounter. We spoke with the technical expert on the site to make sure everything wasn’t going to topple over and fall on the ambulance service. The man was lying down in the trench and had been struck on the head. It looked like they were putting in footings for a building. He was packaged and removed by the ambulance service.”

Ambulance spokesman Rich Airey added:

“We attended the building site near Talmead Road, and sent an air ambulance ground crew and a hazardous area response team because the crane might have been unstable. A man aged approximately 50 had been injured where the crane that was on the lorry had come down and hit him on the bead. He was unconscious for some time at the scene, but regained consciousness and was treated by two ambulance crews. He was taken to the William Harvey as a matter of priority.”

Property developer Taylor Wimpey has built hundreds of homes on the site, but is believed to have stopped building work on Monday and Tuesday. Spokesman Joni Ager said:

“We can confirm that an operative working at our Meadow View development in Herne Bay sustained an injury. The operative was taken to hospital for a check up and as a precaution was kept in overnight for observation.”


“He was subsequently discharged the following day. The cause of accident is being investigated by Taylor Wimpey and the specialist contractor employed to carry out the works. The Health and Safety Executive has been made aware of the incident.”

Health and Safety Executive spokesman Paul Butler said:

“These sort of incidents are considered reportable. I’ve spoken to the local office and this is an incident they are aware of. They are making initial inquiries, pending a formal investigation.”

Herne Bay Gazette, April 10th 2014

Check Also

Albion Rovers, and why I fell out with Cameron

There are now just two weeks until the general election, and political parties have began …