It’s grim reading for Manston, but it could be good news for East Kent – depending on Thanet District Council’s priorities. Yes folks, the Parsons Brinckerhoff report has finally arrived, and you can read, print and download your copy HERE.
This summary is in handy bite-sized chunks – just click on the “next installment” at the end of each post to work your way through…
Shortly after Manston submitted their most recent night flying proposal last autumn, TDC commissioned independent experts Parsons Brinckerhoff (PB) to look at all the paperwork. Manston’s application was supported by a noise impact report from Bickerdike Allen Partners (BAP), and an economic assessment from York Aviation.
TDC’s brief to PB was:
[p2] To assess the suitability of the methodology used in the application; To test the assumptions made; To review the Planning situation
I have no idea why they asked for the third point – this is clearly a matter for planning lawyers. PB spend about a third of their report rehashing the history of planning problems and then throw up their hands in resignation and say “ask a expert”:
[p22] It is recommended that Legal Council [sic] Opinion is sought on the question of intensification of use.
Some key findings from the PB report:
- Manston wants night flights for freight.
- If this was a planning application, it would be rejected.
- Having night flights will not generate passenger growth.
- The noise analysis supporting Manston’s application is flawed.
- The economic analysis supporting Manston’s application is flawed.
- The S106 agreement and the planning status of the airport is a shambles.
Incidentally, if you found this useful, do feel free to pass it on to friends, neighbours and colleagues – just use the “EMAIL THIS” link below.
Next installment: It’s all about freight