Home ... Herne Bay ... Bun Penny: progress at last

Bun Penny: progress at last

Bun Penny pub sold for development

The burnt out Bun Penny could soon rise from the ashes after it was sold for redevelopment. The derelict building – one of the town’s most complained about eyesores since it was gutted by fire in September 2011 – was under offer last month and the sale has now been formally completed.

Estate agent Peter Goodwin, from Wilbee and Son, handled the deal and said it was the start of a new era for the building. He said:

“The new owners are local but they do not want to be named for the moment. But they are very pleased it is now completed and they are hoping it will not be too long before work can start.”

New hoardings are due to go up on the site, on the corner of William Street and Central Parade, on Wednesday and a planning application has been prepared. The proposed scheme would see the former pub demolished and a new building in its place, with luxury flats on the upper floors. Mr Goodwin said:

“The idea is to have commercial on the ground floor, ideally a family restaurant. That is what the new owners will be targeting and I think it is something that Herne Bay needs. The council have been very supportive and everyone is now hoping they will be able to rubber stamp the application so it can go through quickly.”

The site has attracted complaints since it was first burnt out, and councillors have insisted since July 2012 that it was “a priority”. Business leader Nigel Hancock, of the Bay Independent Retail Group, set up a petition calling on Canterbury City Council to tidy up the site and officials were discussing taking action to force the owners to act. Mr Goodwin said:

“The owners have been very helpful in making sure the sale goes through smoothly and they pleased it is all finalised now. It has taken a lot of work and a lot of negotiations and I want to formally thank the old owners and the council for their help and support. Everyone is keen for the site to be brought back into use and we are all now hoping the council will feel able to continue to support this so work can start soon.”

HB Times 6th June 2014

Check Also

Can you help Kevin Almond’s family?

The family of a tragic dad-of eight who died in a motorbike accident has been …